Women. They deliver. And not just babies – but real results, the kind that make this planet a better place for all of us. This insight was the impetus for the Women Deliver initiative, which asserts that maternal health is a practical necessity for sustainable development.
In this toolkit, Women Deliver crunches the numbers to demonstrate just how closing the gender gap makes everyone a winner in the long run.
For example, if the world decided to invest US $12 billion a year in women, this would:
- Reduce unintended pregnancies by more than 66%
- Prevent 70% of maternal deaths
- Avert 44% of newborn deaths
- Reduce unsafe abortion by 73%
- Cut disability-adjusted life years lost to pregnancy-related illness and premature death by 66%
This is a return on investment that we can all applaud. (Let’s see Rakesh Jhunjhunwala top these results!)
Check out the toolkit for more facts and figures, and a how-to guide for investing in women.